Monday, 10 December 2012

My Favourite WW II Author



As I have mentioned before I am a World War II nut. Don't ask me why, because I just am for some reason. Out of all the Authors I have read in this genre, one stands above the rest for me, and that is Laurence Rees. As well as writing excellent and insightful books he also produces top notch documentaries.  I have selected  my two  favourite books to feature in this post. My hope is that some of you might try his books and enjoy them as much as I have.






This book is a remarkable read. It takes us into the minds of the people who committed the atrocities in World War II. Why not excusing their actions it allows an insight into their reasoning’s behind these actions. This book for me captures the essence of what fascinates me, that being a study of how people act under the extreme pressures of war. A true study into the dark nature of the human mind.

4 Stars





Laurence Rees has delivered yet again. Behind closed doors is a look at the Big Three (Stalin, Churchill and Roosevelt) and their dealings with each other. The book is full of intrigue and insights into the diplomacy of the era, as well as a study of these three big personalities. As Usual Rees threads his narrative with eye witness accounts of behind the scenes, as well as from those who were affected by their decisions. I would like to think myself well read in the World War 2 genre, but this book introduced me to key historical event's which are barely mentioned in other text. The author's ability to be able to put these in context, and compare them with other more well known events left me awe struck. This book easily matches the high standards already set by this author in his other books of the period; I can't wait until his next offering.

5 Star


 

 

3 comments:

  1. You've convinced me to add Behind Closed Doors to my TBR. It's too bad that it takes me so long to read non-fiction as I'm getting quite the list of ones I want to read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you enjoy closed Behind Closed Doors as much as I did Dawn :) I have the same issue with non-fiction books, they take a lot more concentration to read and take in. But it is worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read and really enjoyed Behind Closed Doors. Just added Their Darkest Hour to the wishlist. I have his book The Nazis: A Warning From History in my library but haven't had a chance to read it yet.

    ReplyDelete