Saturday, 8 December 2012

Top Ten Books Read in 2012 Part 1

With the end of the year fast approaching, it is time to list my favourite top ten reads for 2012. I would like to point out that both of Hugh Howeys Books Wool and I, Zombie both feature in this list, but as I have already covered them  in a previous post I will substitute them for two that just missed out on my list.

So in no particular order here they are:





Being a tad bit claustrophobic I entered the pages of this book with some trepidation. But from the world go I enthralled by the world of super caves, and those who seek to go deeper than anyone else. Apart from these people being certifiably insane, their devotion and bravery is a wonder to behold. This book has shone light on an area of exploration I had no knowledge on at all, and amazed me with the beauty and lethality of these wonders of the world. I will continue to follow the quest to sink to new depths with great interest in the future. This book has won a convert I may not want to go anywhere near these cold and windy holes in the ground, but I want to learn more about them from the safety of my reading chair.

4 Stars



Unit 731 Testimony


A fascinating but disturbing read. The author splits this book up into two sections, the first being the history of the unit and the second testimonies from those who served in it. Coming into this book with only a basic knowledge of what this unit represented, I walked away with an excellent understanding of it. The author tackles what is a difficult subject matter in an engaging manner, which brings the full horror of live human experimentation and all that it encompasses to the reader’s attention. All in all a well balanced read.


4.5 Stars




Inferno: The World at War, 1939-1945 by Max Hastings



An epic single volume covering the history of World War II. Hastings has delivered a book that is so well balanced that this thick tome leaves no stone unturned. The mix of first-hand accounts with the facts and figures of this, conflict left me with a complete understanding and sense of this epic struggle. My hat off to the author who has once again, shown why he is regarded as one of the leading authorities in this genre. If you read only one book on World War II this should be the one.

5 Stars

This next book was my gateway into the world of Zombie, Post Apocalyptic and Dystopian fiction, This in turn added to a flood of additions to my TBR list.






I loved this book! The whole time I was reading it gave me the feeling of watching a documentary. The mechanics of how this book is written, and set out is breath of fresh air. It manages to make the subject matter seem real, and that I was actually reading a history book. All aspects are covered in this engrossing tale of the battle, the battle to save humanity coming to an undead end.


4.5 Stars



Young Stalin By Simon Sebag Montefiore


This book had my attention from the opening pages. The author’s obvious exhaustive research has payed off, in one easy to read but surprisingly revealing book. He has pushed pass the rhetoric and Soviet built up image of the young Stalin, to deliver an honest look at his formative years. This book is just not for lovers of history, but is for everyone as it is a gem of a read.

5 Stars






No comments:

Post a Comment