Thursday, 31 January 2013

The E Book Revolution Will Be Televised and Streamed Live!

E books and E readers people either love them or hate them but they are here to stay. But were and how are they going to effect the book market.

I for one am a huge fan of my Kindle now reading over 75% of my books on the device. But yet I still do like to buy books for my library at home. But these are usually only my favorite authors that I already have sitting on the bookshelf and on subjects I am passionate about.

Last year I found numerous friends and family members purchasing E readers. If my little part of the world was going nuts for E readers and E books what was the rest of the world doing? After some research I discovered that there was an estimated 65 million E books sold wide world last year, this represents a doubling of sales compared to 2011. Why this is a huge jump, if we take time to look at various sale figures for top 50 books, E-books represent on average 20% of these sales. So by far traditional print books are still the industry standard. But if the E-book sale trend continues in its current course we may soon have parity of sales.

Now I can hear all you die hard traditionalist out there saying there is nothing like the feel of a book. Why I can’t argue with that in my mind the E books positives out weigh the negatives. Let’s have a look at my positive and negative aspect of E books.

Positives

ü                        You can read one handed (Allows more varied reading positions)          
ü                        No dog ears or wrecked cover
ü                        Vast selection of books to buy and have delivered instantly
ü                        Easy to research book and read reviews
ü                        Storage of many books on one device
ü                        Changeable font size (great when I am tired and take of my glasses)
ü                        Less to dust
ü                        Takes up way less space
ü                        I tend to able to read  E-books quicker
ü                        It let’s me buy more gadgets. I love gadgets
ü                        The price
ü                        Don’t loose your place in the book
ü                        Synchronization of reading place over numerous devices
ü                        Easier to pack when moving house


Negative

-                           Does not have that new book feel or smell
-                           Can not have an embossed cover (I love embossed covers)
-                           Can not through it at people that annoy you
-                           Can not sit on the shelf to impress people in how well read I am
-                           Maps and illustration are usually inferior to the printed copies
-                           Can not use it to steady a table
-                           Will not stop bullets or fend off Zombies
-                           Can not get your favorite author to sign it (e-signatures just aren’t the same)
-                           Can not lend it someone or trade them in

One great thing to come out of the E book revolution is the rise of the Indie Author. With self publishing becoming so much easier there is a smorgasbord of great authors and stories to sink your teeth into. I have read some fantastic stories all for 99c and without E books these would have never seen the light of day.

We are seeing and living through a book revolution and I am on excited to see were it takes us. I believe in the long run it will lead to a more vibrant and exciting world of books were both E books and Traditional print books will have their place.

2 comments:

  1. You cracked me up with your pros and cons list, especially the blurb about fending off zombies. I agree that the electronic versions of books will continue to become a bigger portion of overall book sales. If the price of the electronic version becomes more economical it will be more of a no-brainer. I agree with you on the market of indie authors that have gotten recognition just by being available at such a reasonable price. The one thing I really like about e-readers is the ability to highlight. I absolutely won't mark in a book with a highlighter but go to town with one on my e-reader.
    Right now, I think that there are certain genres of books that I know I will only read once and am not as emphatic about having a hard copy in my personal library. I'm trying to keep those limited to WWII books, especially with maps and reference material. It also helps make me look well-read when guests come over :)
    Nice op-ed piece!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also like to have a booksheld crammed with WWII books

    ReplyDelete