Monday, 22 July 2013

A Good Read But Far From Scary


 
 

I read this book with great expectations after reading numerous reviews about it and I am sad to say it did not deliver what was promised. Why I found the story quite entertaining and engaging I found it in no way a disturbing or scary read.  It has been a long time since I have read a Vampire book and this was one was refreshing take on the genre.
As for the horror side of the book I may have become desensitised over the years but this book did not deliver any spine chilling moments. I did not find myself having to read over parts in my shock to make sure I had read it correctly. These elements that make a good horror story for me were absent in this book.
 
3 Stars
 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Michael. I'm keen to read this one! I saw the film and liked its take on the vampire genre. I find that the emphasis in contemporary vampire film/tv/books tends to be on the complexities of relationships between the vamps and non-vamps, the forbidden/futile love narratives and the vampires existential angst. More melodrama and introspection and less horror... I blame Anne Rice for this! Melissa :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for dropping in Melissa and checking out my blog. I am keen in getting my hands on the movie and seeing how it translate to screen. I totally agree that the whole twilight spin is killing off the horror side of Vampires. Luckily though I found the Monster Hunters Limited series and my faith in the Vampire genre has been revitalised.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw your review of that and thought it sounded pretty good. I must admit I really enjoyed Buffy The Vampire Slayer and the combination of the teenage hero coming-of-age narrative with b-grade horror. I think in the hands of another writer/creator the show would have been pretty weak. I have never read/seen a Twilight book/film and, by all reports, I should keep it that way! M

    ReplyDelete