Saturday, 31 August 2013

Not As Good As I Remember


When I first read this book I was a 20 year old playing guitar in a punk band and I loved this book to death. Fast forward 18 years and I am working for the "man" as a Correctional officer and yes the shine has worn off this book for me. 

Why I still enjoyed the ranting’s of this drug crazed gonzo reporter and his lawyer, I found myself getting annoyed and angry at them during the book. Their lack of respect of others and lack of any moral responsibility drove me to distraction. The voice of Mr McKay from South Park kept popping into my head, and I had to agree with him that yes drugs are bad. 

The book still represents a great snapshot of the times and drug culture of America during the late 60's and 70's. But with a more mature head the book has lost the grasp it once had on me.

3 Stars


No comments:

Post a Comment