Sunday, 20 October 2013

Ready Player One....Hell Yeah!!!!!


Before I start this book review I have a confession to make, it is a secret my wife would like to remain hidden.  I am an avid gamer and have been since I can remember. When I first met her I was in the midst of a World of Warcraft addiction and my favourite t-shirt had /AFK plastered on the front of it. With her help I am now over 5 years free of WOW and going strong. So please keep that in mind as I start this review... now where the hell has my PS3 controller gone to.

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline


This book rocks it never stopped surprising and entertaining me from the opening chapter to the end. The author spins a tale that had me staying up late many a night just to read a little bit more. As well as creating a world that is not much of a stretch to believe is around the corner. He pays homage to the history of the humble computer game as well as to their forefathers the never forgotten book driven RPG games such as Dungeon & Dragons. I was like a kid in a candy shop as I was taken for a stroll along memory lane as games, films and TV shows are bought up in the story.

The story is where the book hits a home run. A world where fossil fuel and real jobs are rare. Most of humanity lives in a virtual world called Oasis the ultimate social networking and MMO all rolled into one. It is in the Oasis the story runs rampart, we have our hero, a quest and an evil corporation trying to change and corrupt the Oasis forever. This book is for anyone who was bought up in the 80's or has a passing interest in gaming or anything geeky. Even if you do not fit these categories give this book a try and prepare to be entertained.

5 BIG Stars and the LBR Tick of Approval


No comments:

Post a Comment