Friday, 14 March 2014

Tankbread


I received this book for free in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

The dead outnumber the living a hundred thousand to one. In order to maintain higher brain function, they need in ingest human stem cells. Tankbread are human clones rich with those very stem cells, and farmed by the humans to serve their zombie masters. Zombies are known as “extremely violent lucid organisms”; Evols for short. When it’s discovered that the Tankbread aren’t just mindless clones, a courier is given the perilous task of saving humanity.

Tankbread delivers no shortage of gore and graphic content. Intended for a mature audience, the squeamish may find Tankbread uncomfortable. I, however, am far from squeamish (unless there are spiders), and I tip my proverbial hat to Mannering for laying it all out there for readers to devour.

The book started out a bit rocky for me, and I had difficulty keeping up with it’s momentum. The book paces extremely fast, with very few lulls in the action to catch your breath. However, the writing is excellent and the story is 100% original. The concept is sci-fi meets horror, and I realized early on that I had to really open my mind up and throw away my preconceived notions of the zombie apocalypse in order to invest in the outside the box story delivered by Mannering. It started out as a three star read, but somewhere along the way, I became invested in the story and the book ended with my four star stamp of approval. I firmly believe Tankbread is a must read for hardcore horror fanatics.

4 Stars




No comments:

Post a Comment