Saturday, 19 July 2014

When Fiction Is As Real As Fact


 
 
 
Marni Mann is not the usual type of author that I read. But this book caught my attention and I was compelled to read it. I have to admit with a red face that it was not until 3/4 of the way through the book that I realised it was fiction, but this says a lot about the great story that it tells.
 
This book is a tale of a young woman slowly sucked into a downward spiral of drug addiction in which heroin reigns supreme. The development or should I say deconstruction of the characters in this book is sublime; and as I have stated earlier it took me a long time to cotton on to the fact this book was fiction.
Working in corrections for over 10 years as well as reading numerous books on substance addiction I found the characters in this book extremely real, reflecting the drive and self-destructive nature of addicts. This book in far from a comfortable read but the story it tells is one no one should ignore.
 
4.5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment