Wednesday, 24 September 2014

Best History Book Ever!!!!!!!!!




As a child of the 80's I often heard reference to the Cuban Missile Crisis as the day the world held its breath. I knew it had to do with some nuclear missile being placed in Cuba by the Russians that in turn upset the US, but that was about as far as my knowledge went. As I read my way through this book my eyes grew wider and wider till I thought they were going to pop out of my head. What an amazing and utterly terrifying moment in history.
 

The authors goes to great lengths to instill into the reader just how close the world came to a nuclear war. Each event is looked at in detail and their potential ramifications explored. Never have I ever walked away from a history book with such a thorough understanding of the subject matter.
 

For me this book is what every history book should strive to be. The narrative reads like a first rate thriller and draws the reader in. The information is set out in an extremely balanced way and invites the reader to form their own opinions. Overall this is history at its most accessible form that entertains and teaches at the same time.

5 Stars  LBR Tick Of Approval

1 comment:

  1. I recall this and it was a scary time in the early 1960s. However, being born in the early 50s, there was always talk of nuclear war and being taken over by the Communist...so I'm sure as a kid of maybe 9 or 10, I thought it was simply more of the same. Today I know differently, of course. I'd like to read this next month

    ReplyDelete