Tuesday, 11 November 2014

Blackwater Saga Part 3

Here is the last installment of the Blackwater Saga reveiw by Pamellia Smith. I have these books sitting on my shelf now ready to read.


 

Do we now know the real reason Elinor sacrificed her easy life in the Perdido river to come ashore and win the heart of Oscar?
 
In this book, so many things are changing for the family, yet so many things remain the same. As certain members get older they succumb to various illnesses and broken hearts.
 
I particularly love McDowell's writing in this part of the saga. I think I enjoy reading about great wealth and how it came about. I love how he develops the city of Perdido right along with the Caskeys. I felt from the beginning McDowell was taking a writing success chance when he moved part of the family out in the country...but with expertise writing skills, he made it work.
 


 
 
McDowell comes full circle with the rain. It's sad to think that everything might be destroyed if the rain doesn't stop. Elinor has been accidentally wounded and it seems like the heavens are crying harder than anyone ever remembers
.
The ending: I would love to discuss with someone what Billy saw when he got into the boat and looked back into the house. What a thought provoking ending.
Another thing I would like to mention about this saga. I think Mr. McDowell liked this story. I think he felt for the men that were dominated by the women. I think he enjoyed writing about the old south. He was a story teller, perhaps the best story teller of our time. He was lost to us by his death much too early. Recommended to anyone wanted to read a good story
 
5 stars for both

No comments:

Post a Comment