Wednesday, 21 January 2015

A Real Love & Hate Read

 
 
Never has a book given me such joy & pain as The Religion. Tim Willocks delivers a real mixed bag that sits on the precipice of an epic with the wasteland of mediocrity spreading out below.

So let’s have a look at what I liked about this book. I loved the characters as they were well fleshed out, each with their own back story that could easily become a book in their own right. The historical context was spot on with enough information given to let you get a good sense of the times. The action was fast and brutal without getting bogged down with a blow by blow report. At times the story flew right off the page and had me reading in a state of great excitement.

Now it is time for what I did not like about The Religion. This book is so, so, so long. Which is not by itself a bad thing, but boy can this author prattle on. I found myself at times during this book not caring about what was going on. Several times I nearly chucked up my hands in surrender to walk away never to return. This book in my humble opinion could have shed 200 odd pages without detracting from the story.

The Religion for me was far from an enlightening read. A real life Jekyll and Hide, combining what I love and detest about reading all in one book. Make sure you prepare before committing to this read. Because once you set off there is no turning back you are in for the long haul.
 
3 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment