Tuesday, 20 January 2015

A Worthy Winner

Time for the next Audiobook review.

 
 
 
I was in two minds when I started reading this book. On one hand I was feeling sceptical as it has just recently bumped out my favourite author John Scalzi’s, to win the Goodreads best Sci-fi book. On the other hand I was excited because it was the winner of the best Sci-fi book.

It did not take me long to see why it had got over the line. The books from the get go grabs you and takes you along for the ride. The author has obviously done a lot of research to add a layer of realism to this book and it works so well. The real stand out for me though is the main character. Mark Watney is one of the most realistic characters I have encountered in a book. It does not take long to take shine to this unfortunate botanist.

The book is written in a couple of different styles that work well together. I really enjoyed how the author patiently adds the layers to the story. This layering is very effective in building up the suspense and often had me reading way past my bedtime. But it is the humour of this book that makes truly a great read. I often found myself laughing out loud at the sarcastic comments coming out Watney's mouth. This humour for me is what made the character so realistic.

So well done Mr Weir on a great book. I will definitely be looking out for your next piece of work. This Martian is a well deserved winner of Goodreads best Sci-fi read for 2014.

As an audiobook I can not fault this production. The narrator is the Earphones Award winning R.C Bray and he is perfectly suited as the voice of Mark Watney.
 
5 Headphones


 





 

No comments:

Post a Comment