Saturday, 21 March 2015

Hell To Read

 
 
This is the second book this year I have not been able to finish. The book started off well enough giving a great overview of the Gulag system in Siberia. It gave very good insight into the reason behind setting these camps up in some of the most inhospitable places in the world.

So where did it all go wrong? For me it was the referencing system used in this book. It made no sense and made the read so frustrating that in the end I gave up. For example quite often he would write as “described in the book (9)”. This drove me so crazy I felt like pulling my hair out. It would have been bearable if (9) actually linked to the reference section so I could see what the book was. Sorry if I sound fussy, but really how hard would it have been to write the actual book title.

Apart from this the book started to wonder around the subject with no real clear direction. I hate not finishing a book but time reading time is at a premium for me at the moment.
   
 
1 Star  

No comments:

Post a Comment