Thursday, 17 March 2016

Meet Me In Atlantis




How many of you have heard the legend of the Lost City of Atlantis? I think I can safely say all of us. But how may can tell you the origins of this legend and the historical events linked to it? Not as many hands go up this time. Mark Adams dives into the story of Atlantis and tries to break it down to the bare facts. 

Along the way he also discusses the people and culture that has grown around the legend. From the serious scholars to the slightly unbalanced people. He looks at the origins of the legend and examines it's validity as well as the glaring problems such as the many different translations of Plato's work. This is done whilst all the while taking us on his journey around the Mediterranean and Europe to try and discover the truth.

Whilst this book was interesting I did find myself skimming along parts of it. I do though have a greater appreciation and understanding of the pull of the Lost City of Atlantis. I have learned a great deal from this book and this is why I love to read.

3 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment